A Former Police Officer, Veteran of OIF II talking about Games, Movies, and generally weird news.

Monday, November 28, 2005


GAMES ARE HELL?











Should I allow videogames to move me?

I mean really make me stop and think about the subject matter they are presenting and the messages that it all implies?


There are alot of games out there. Some purport to be more than your standard fare. Some say that they have deep messages and layers, like an onion. That thier game is merely the medium in which to project art, or a message, or whatever. But do they really? Lets talk about the Call of Duty series. A hell of a series. I loved the game and am still playing COD2 right now. But does it teach you anything about war? Does it teach a morality lesson that makes us better human beings? After its all said and done do you have a better understanding of human nature and the trials and tribulations that men go through in a time of war?

Now you may being saying to yourself, Field Marshal, we know its just a game, its not suppossed to have any other meaning. Its suppossed to be fun. If that statement is true then I counter with why not?

I can still remember the first opening scene of Saving Private Ryan, the heroism of taking one step on the beach exhibited by those men. Or seeing the effects of war in the epic miniseries Band of Brothers. I have seen these images on the small screen and I have lived them as well. Seeing the brutal nature of war and at the same time seeing the things that make those men stand together and develop the brotherhood and kinship that transcends normal relationships. Those things make me stand back and say a silent prayer, those things remind me of why war is hell. The "actors" portray the reality of the situation and when someone dies in the movie it affects you, yet when one of my squadmates in Call of Duty buy it I simply wait for his replacement. "Great to see you Private Bill Bob 101, now mount that .50 cal". When the end title sequence pops up I dont close my eyes and have a moment of silence for all the digital blood thats been spilled.


But maybe I should.

1 Comments:

Blogger Keith Lingenfelter said...

The impressively complex grouping of polygons known as Private Billy Bob 101 still lacks the subtle nuances of life actors are trained to portray in exaggerated ways.

Drama writers drop hints of his life we personally or imperically identify with. It's tough to pack that into the genre of first person shooters. I remember in the old Amiga classic "Wings", (WWI flight sim)I really felt bummed when one of the pilots the main character wrote about in his diary was shot down, burning in a plowfield in France. The game connected you in a literary rather than visual way.

I think as gaming becomes art as well as entertainment it will be a venue for morality tales involving action. Let's all pray it's in a positive way rather than simply selfish desires such as GTA.

3:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home